
We celebrated Tariq's 30th birthday this week, two times. I never realized what a luxury a well-baked, creamy, fruity birthday cake could be until coming to Afghanistan. I will say that while I appreciate most Afghan cuisine, the culture is not strong on desserts. I often like to joke that Germans have terrible cuisine but world-class desserts; Afghans are the opposite. In any event, with a little help from my Country Manager (Catherine) I tracked down an international bakery on the perimeter of Kabul and ordered Tariq a lovely berry-cream cake with a fruit flan top. Needless to say we completely indulged and had an amazing time. Then, we went over to Catherine's house and did it all over again, this time with a strawberry shortcake and --wonder of wonders-- two bottles of shiraz red wine. Does it get any better? Catherine pulled out her karaoke machine and Tariq and I regaled our group with "Don't Worry Be Happy"... I tried to sing "Where is the Love?" and realized that I have no talent for rap whatsoever, wine or no wine. This little celebration with my colleagues was a happy confirmation that our senior management team has really gelled together. It has taken awhile for us to feel comfortable with each other, and the set up of a complete, functioning office (both physically and in terms of policy and procedure) from absolutely nothing has had its trials and tensions. I feel good about what we have achieved by working together.
No comments:
Post a Comment