
It's been a quiet and relaxed week in Kabul. I've successfully finished my consulting assignment with Zardozi, after days of concentrated report-writing. Work culminated nicely with the end of the monthly fast of Ramadan and the advent of Eid. So, for the past few days, I've been in countless homes drinking green tea and a pistachio-flavored local fudge called
shir-pera. Today I meet with my new Director to discuss my first day of work, and I meet with Shikib, the trainer at an all-womens' boxing program to which I've volunteered my boxing training services. I'm looking forward to both, and it will be nice to get into a routine again. One of the best parts of this week was having lots of time to spend with Che. Last night, he snuggled into our bed. I felt so contented. Although our rooftop home is pretty primitive, I am finding that it has some unexpected delights. The stars at night from the roof are incredible. And every sunrise brings with it the
thrusssshh sound of a hundred wings sliding through the air as Tariq lets out his racing pigeons. Now, brushing my teeth in a bucket and cooking on a propane tank.... that's another story.
No comments:
Post a Comment