About a decade ago, although it doesn't feel that long ago, my father discovered that he had a half-brother in Germany. Unbeknownst to the family, my grandfather had had a relationship with a German woman, and they had conceived a son. My first mission in Germany was to meet my uncle Hans and his family and it was with great excitement that I got off my first ICE train in Ulm to see them for the first time! I picked out Hans right away - he looks very similar to my grandfather, although very tall like my dad. The whole family is wonderful. Hans works as an executive at Airbus, which has a large plant in the small town of Laupheim.He and his wife Rita and children Mira (17) and Jonas (14) took me to the Ulm Munster - the tallest Gothic cathedral in Europe - and through a charming quarter of art shops and boutique hotels on the banks of the Danau River called the Fischplatz. They spoiled me with a raclette barbeque and much love and kindness.
It was here that I could feel the much-welcome process of "decompressing" from the anxiety of Afghanistan begin. In Kabul, with my height, light face and different clothes, I stick out like a sore thumb. By organizational protocol, I need to be driven everywhere and cannot walk on the streets. Here, it felt so refreshing to be independent again, anonymous in the crowd, mistress of my own destiny. In Germany, I feel so at home. Everything is clean, well-organized, and there is good coffee everywhere. Ahhhh...just what the doctor ordered. Hans and Rita took me through Laupheim to see the local castle and baroque cathedral, but the real highlight was snuggling in bed with my cousin Mira, watching Das Parfum together and giggling about naughty or silly German idioms. She is a karate champ - amazing how much we have in common.
No comments:
Post a Comment