Saturday, April 26, 2008

Watering the Ethnic Roots

With every visit, I was assured that if I could stay longer, there would be so many other distinctive things to see and do. So it is with the sensation of a secret treasure only partially uncovered that I am leaving Germany. I am so delighted to have had this opportunity to explore my ethnic roots here, meet family, and get a firsthand experience of the country and culture of my grandparents. Funny that it took me until my early 30s to do so, but I'm glad I have made this discovery before little Twinkle (our endearment for the baby) is born. There is so much I look forward to sharing with him or her!

All things considering, I feel very happy with my vacation and also happy to be going home. The time has come to take care of business and get ready for the baby in earnest. I think for a little while it's going to feel very weird to be "home" in Kelowna, with no other place to go, no other final destination. I wonder how I will feel about settling there for awhile? I have been joking - with a strain of seriousness - that I'm in deep denial about just how radically my life is going to change when the little package arrives. It will be good to turn my attention now to getting everything in order for the baby and taking some time to feel healthy, active and in shape again. Happily, even after one week of glorious freedom and walking around, I already feel miles better than I did the day I left Kabul. I miss Tariq already but I'm happy he is finishing his semester of English studies in Kabul. It won't be long until he's home again too and he can be a part of getting our nest together.

1 comment:

anna j said...

my dear Barb,
i have so enjoyed your updates about your travels in Germany and Prague . . . i was eagerly lurking on your blog, in fact, hoping you would write about the travels :-) and i was not disappointed: your thoughts about going to the "homeland" are inspiring. and the knowledge of your thoughts and adventures satisfies my yearning for news of you!